HOME OWNERSHIP PROCESS
Do you dream of owning your own home? Housatonic Habitat for Humanity may be able to work with you to make your dreams come true. The unique Habitat for Humanity program offers the opportunity to own a home for an affordable monthly mortgage payment.
The home ownership process is exactly that; a process. It can take anywhere from 18-30 months, from your first informational meeting to move-in day. The process includes: Application, Selection, and Partnership.
Questions? Contact Executive Director, Fran Normann at firstname.lastname@example.org or 203.744.1340.
Applying for a Habitat mortgage is similar to applying for a traditional mortgage, and – yes – there is a lot of paperwork. We encourage you to attend a free, publicized informational meeting. Send us your email and we will put you on our mailing list to receive future notices to learn about Habitat home ownership, and the application process, our selection criteria and process.
Once you are ready, here's what you need to do:
- Fill out our short-form application. Once this screening for income-qualified applicants is completed, we will send you our formal application. It will ask you to:
- Write a personal statement that explains your housing need.
- Return the application to the Housatonic Habitat office, 51 Austin Street, Danbury, CT 06810.
- Provide documentation paperwork typical of any mortgage application.
At any point during the process you can contact us. We know that applying for a home and mortgage can seem like a big task, and we are here to help. Contact our Business Manager, Mark Lang at email@example.com or 203.744.1340.
The Selection Process might take 2-3 months before a decision is reached. Here's why:
- All applications are reviewed by our family selection team to check for missing information. If your application is incomplete, you will be asked to provide the missing information.
- All completed applications go to credit reviewers, who check that your income does not exceed the maximum allowable, but is also adequate to pay our affordable mortgage.
- If you are income-eligible and credit-worthy to qualify for a Habitat home, trained interviewers will meet with your family to evaluate your housing need and your ability to partner.
During every step of this process, we follow all Fair Housing Law and standard Habitat procedures. We do not discriminate, and we do business in accordance with Federal and Connecticut Fair Lending Laws.
Housatonic Habitat for Humanity does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, sexual orientation, color, age, handicap, religion, national origin, marital or familial status, or because all or part of income is derived from any public assistance program that will produce income for the long term.
If you are selected, you will be assigned a volunteer Family Partner. Your Family Partner is your go-to person from the time you sign your letter of agreement through the first year of home ownership.
Your Family Partner will track your family's sweat equity hours, answer questions, and be your liaison with Housatonic Habitat. During your partnership phase, you will help build your home. You will also be required to attend and participate in a series of pre-purchase workshops, financial literacy classes, and may need to also attend one or two of our post-purchase workshops.
These help you prepare to be a successful homeowner – and include sessions such as financial planning and budgeting classes, to home maintenance, and care. We want to make sure your family has the know-how and confidence to start your future from the day you put the key in the door of your new home.
We do not accept or reply to email questions about a submitted application.